From: Neil Bartlett <njbartlett@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2010/03/12 05:35
Subject: Re: [equinox-dev] Question on programatic close of the runtime

Daniel,

Stopping bundle zero is not a hack; this is the normal way to
programmatically shutdown OSGi. However:

1) There is no need to check that the bundle is active first. Calling
stop() on an already stopped bundle simply has no effect (likewise
calling start() on an already active bundle has no effect).

2) There should be no need to wait for the framework to stop and then
call System.exit(). Exiting the JVM should be the responsibility of
whoever created and started the framework, i.e. the launcher. Calling
System.exit() directly from within a bundle will cause big problems if
your bundle is deployed to a framework embedded in a larger system,
e.g. an application server.

In other words, the code could be as simple as this:

   _componentContext.getBundleContext().getBundle(0).stop();

Regards,
Neil