Re: [equinox-dev] DS and bundle stop/start

Yes, in an ideal world everyone would handle all services completely dynamically. In reality this adds a lot of complexity to application code, so people make simplying assumptions that services provided by bundles they require are already available (since referencing the service interface would cause that bundle to be activated and the service made available). In my particular case the bundle was assuming that a service provided by *itself* was already registered if the bundle was activated. This was true when the bundle was registering that service in its activator, but when that registration was moved to DS it opened a new window in which the bundle is activated but the service is not registered - only in the case where the bundle has been started explicitly via Bundle.start(). This is a subtle difference that is likely to bite people as they switch to DS.

John

BJ Hargrave <hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx>

10/27/2009 10:41 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] DS and bundle stop/start

Yes. No bundle should expect another bundle to register some service during it activation. A bundle should depend upon services using DS or ServiceTracker (or even ServiceListener).
--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM

office: +1 386 848 1781