Re: [equinox-dev] Generate config.ini based on Run Configuration

Thanks Chris,

I'll contact Scott for further information.

Cheers,
Eugen

Am Sep 28, 2009 um 24:50  schrieb Chris Aniszczyk:

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Eugen Reiswich <reiswich@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Chris,

In Eclipse 3.5, it's possible to create a product definition from an OSGi launch configuration.

I don't know if I got it right, but the product file I'm familiar with is the one I use for RCP applications where I need to specify a product with the appropriate application. But in my case I need to stay in a pure OSGi world with the ability to launch my bundles outside Eclipse.

This is completely possible. One other thing I forgot to mention was that product definitions were enhanced to meet use cases outside of just RCP applications. The ability to modify start levels was added. The "application" and "product" attributes are now optional as part of product definitions. If you want to create a product definition that use Equinox launchers, you can simply specify the "application" attribute and ignore the product attribute. If you want to use the product definition as just a convenience in launching and deploying your application, you can do that. At EclipseSource, we have taken advantage of product definitions as a way to easily build and deploy server-side OSGi applications. Scott Lewis covered some of how this works with his three part blog series:

http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2009/08/15/building-your-equinox-based-appserver-part-1/
http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2009/08/17/building-your-equinox-appserver-p2/
http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2009/08/20/building-your-equinox-osgi-application-server-part-3/

btw, what the heck does "pure OSGi" mean? Is there a more pure version of OSGi that I don't know about :)?

Cheers,

--
Chris Aniszczyk | EclipseSource Austin | +1 860 839 2465
http://twitter.com/eclipsesource | http://twitter.com/caniszczyk