Re: [equinox-dev] [DS] servicefactory=true

Faron

I'm pretty sure that while DS supports the service factory concept, your component implementation class does not need to implement org.osgi.framework.ServiceFactory and MUST implement each of its provided service interfaces.  Please give that a try.

Alternatively, please repost to the mailing list quoting the sections of the OSGi spec that say that the component's implementation class must implement org.osgi.framework.ServiceFactory.

Thanks

Simon

"Dutton, Faron G" <faron.dutton@xxxxxx>

01/25/2009 01:31 PM

Please respond to

"equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] [DS] servicefactory=true

I am using Eclipse 3.4.1 with org.eclipse.equinox.ds 1.0.0 and I have the following declarative service registered as a service factory.

<component name="unique.component.name">
 <implementation class="sample.ServiceFactory"/>
 <service servicefactory="true">
   <provide interface="sample.ServiceInterface"/>
 </service>
</component>

The class sample.ServiceFactory implements org.osgi.framework.ServiceFactory instead of sample.ServiceInterface. When Equinox parses the XML, it creates an instance of FactoryReg instead of ServiceReg. When time comes to actually instantiate an instance of sample.ServiceInterface, I expected FactoryReg to create an instance of sample.ServiceFactory then invoke the getService(Bundle, ServiceRegistration) method of sample.ServiceFactory, which would create the service object. My understanding of the OSGi spec confirms this. FactoryReg, instead, creates and returns an instance of sample.ServiceFactory. This causes an java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
"org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.FactoryReg.getService() returned a service object that is not an instance of the service class sample.ServiceInterface"
in ServiceUse.getService(ServiceUse.java:148).

This appears to be a bug. Am I correct or, if not, what am I doing wrong?

Faron