Re: [equinox-dev] normalized jar

Hi thanks for the reply Andrew.

"If you are getting differences after unpack, you may not actually be using pack200 conditioned/normalized jars, or something went wrong in that -repack normalization step."

So I am finding differences in the jar sizes ( pre and post pack )

I'm fairly certain that I am using pack200 conditioned/normalized jars, since they were built with the "-repack" option.
>> Is there some way to validate this?

>>What type if things could go wrong in the -repack/ normalization step.

Janet Dmitrovich
WPLC Expeditor Software Development
jdmitrov@xxxxxxxxxx
512-838-4912 T/L:678-4912 FAX:512-838-3703
11501 Burnet Road, Austin TX 78758 (Internal ZIP: 9372)

Inactive hide details for Andrew Niefer ---10/07/2008 04:24:57 PM---The contents of the jar should be bit-wise the same, so theAndrew Niefer ---10/07/2008 04:24:57 PM---The contents of the jar should be bit-wise the same, so the only difference between pre & post pack (for a previously condition

          Andrew Niefer <aniefer@xxxxxxxxxx>

          10/07/2008 04:18 PM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

Re: [equinox-dev] normalized jar

The contents of the jar should be bit-wise the same, so the only difference between pre & post pack (for a previously conditioned jar), if any, would be in the format of the jar itself. Differences could be, for example, in size & crc information for a given zip entry appearing before or after the entry itself. I'm not sure that these differences would amount to a size difference for the jar.

In the case of nested jars which are checked against their containers, we do need the jars to be bitwise the same even in jar format. For this reason, the jarProcessor in eclipse does an additional "normalization" step which is different from the pack200 -repack conditioning.

If you are getting differences after unpack, you may not actually be using pack200 conditioned/normalized jars, or something went wrong in that -repack normalization step.

-Andrew

Janet Dmitrovich <jdmitrov@xxxxxxxxxx>

10/07/2008 03:58 PM

Please respond to
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] normalized jar

Should the size of the jar ( Normalized and signed jar ) be the same pre-packand post-unpack ?