Re: [equinox-dev] problems with registry change events

Hi Jens,
It does work for me. Using your code:

1 Create a new bundle that contributes to the registry - say, using "Hello world" template for the new plug-in project wizard
2 Add "-console" argument to the Eclipse launch configuration that you are using
3 Start it
4 Use "ss" command in the console to make sure your tracking bundle is started and to find out the ID of the bundle from the step 1
5. Type "refresh <bundle_id_from_step_1> in the console - you'll see the events.

Thanks,
Oleg

Jens Dietrich <j.b.dietrich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

10/01/2008 04:53 PM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] problems with registry change events

Hi,

I am working on a program that performs some additional integrity checks
between bundles collaborating through extension points and extensions. I
want to trigger verification whenever new extensions or extension points
are registered. I have done a little spike: I wrote a plugin that starts
early (by adding it to config.ini), and added the following code to the
start method in the Activator class (the Activator also implements
IRegistryChangeListener):

private boolean initialized = false;
public void registryChanged(IRegistryChangeEvent e) {
   System.out.println("registry changed");
}
public void start(final BundleContext context) throws Exception {
   super.start(context);
   System.out.println("activating");
   plugin = this;
   BundleListener l = new BundleListener() {
       public void bundleChanged(BundleEvent e) {
           System.out.println("bundle changed:
"+e.getBundle().getSymbolicName());
           if (!initialized && Platform.getExtensionRegistry()!=null) {

Platform.getExtensionRegistry().addRegistryChangeListener(Activator.this);
               System.out.println("registry loaded");
               initialized = true;
           }
       }
   };
   context.addBundleListener(l);
}

The idea is to wait for the extension registry, and once it becomes
available to start listening for registry change events. The output on
the console is the following:

activating
bundle changed: nz.ac.massey.treaty.spikes.events.main
registry loaded
bundle changed: org.eclipse.jface
bundle changed: org.eclipse.ui

... (more bundle changed: .. - )

It seems that registryChanged is never invoked. Even if I install a
plugin later (once the eclipse instance is running) from a local update
site, the method is never called (no print out, I have tried to debug as
well). Why is this?

Any help is appreciated!

Jens