Re: [equinox-dev] .qualifier for export package?

Anyone adopting early API (before API freeze) has to be prepared for breaking changes. We must have the flexibility to develop our new API and increment our versions properly from one final release to the next. Imagine the following scenario

foo; version=1.0

The M1 build adds new backwards compatibility API to foo and the version becomes:

foo; version=1.1

In the M2 build it is decided that the new API is bad and is pulled out, now what do you think foo version should be? back to 1.0 or 1.2 or 2.0? removing the API technically is a backwards compatibility change so technically the version should become 2.0 when compared to the version of foo from the M1 build. I think we must evolve our API versions from the last release, not from build to build. In this case the foo package contains the exact API as the 1.0 version, making it anything other than 1.0 is wrong and confusing.

Adding a qualifier will allow clients to depend on a particular version of the package from a particular build (or CVS tag) if they really need to. But I do not think this is the common case and we should not recommend as a best practice to include qualifiers in version ranges used in Import-Package or Require-Bundle.

Tom

Inactive hide details for BJ Hargrave---09/05/2008 09:40:56 AM---But the qualifier is just another component of the version to BJ Hargrave---09/05/2008 09:40:56 AM---But the qualifier is just another component of the version to allow ordering among versions. Why is change it any different tha

BJ Hargrave/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

09/05/2008 09:40 AM

Re: [equinox-dev] .qualifier for export package?

But the qualifier is just another component of the version to allow ordering among versions. Why is change it any different than changing any other component of the version? (Other than semantic we place on the version components.)

Changing any part of the version during development is only interesting if someone will change their import to depend upon that "higher" version. And if someone becomes dependent upon that new version, then making backwards incompatible API changes during development is in trouble. Backing out API changes made during dev does not mean you can simply revert the version number since there may have been changes in other areas of the package which are not affected by the back out.

Original: 1.2
Make change A: 1.2.0.qual1
Make change B: 1.2.0.qual2
Backout change A: 1.2.0.qual1 is not right since change B is still there.

--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM

office: +1 386 848 1781