RE: [equinox-dev] When is DS done loading services?

I think part of the problem here is the term "application". In this case we are talking about an RCP application which is defined as an Eclipse extension to the org.eclipse.core.runtime.applications extension point. When launching Eclipse the default application is started after the platform has been initialized and the start-level has reached the final state.

RCP applications have historically depended on the platform to be "fully booted" and ready before their application is started. This mentality does not mix well with the dynamic nature of OSGi services. When DS is added to the mix the boot sequence become less predictable because services are not registered synchronously as bundles get started during the bootup process (incrementing the start-level). Currently the Eclipse application container just assumes the application is ready to launch after the the platform has been initialized and the final start-level has been reached.

To work around the issue you will need to do something like BJ says and make the application handle dynamic service registrations. The problem you will run into is that the Eclipse application container has no idea that your Eclipse application depends on services before it is ready to launch. So in addition to making your application handle dynamic services, you will also need to handle waiting for your "required" services to be available in your application start method before allowing your application start method to continue to bring up your application. Or you can simply allow your application to start and put safeguards in to handle when a service is not available yet.

It would be great if we could figure out a better way to mix the use of extensions and services together in an Eclipse application.

Tom

Inactive hide details for BJ Hargrave---09/03/2008 02:04:43 PM---But even DS only knows about started bundles. If a bundle is sBJ Hargrave---09/03/2008 02:04:43 PM---But even DS only knows about started bundles. If a bundle is started after DS has processed some bundle, then new services can

BJ Hargrave/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

09/03/2008 02:04 PM

RE: [equinox-dev] When is DS done loading services?

But even DS only knows about started bundles. If a bundle is started after DS has processed some bundle, then new services can be registered. There is no way for DS to know about all possible services being ready since some may come from bundles yet to be started. The best DS could tell you is that it is done processing services from bundles that are currently started.

It is far better in the long run for the application to handle dynamism. Anything you do today to try and enforce some ordering will likely fail in the future when some thing changes about the set of installed bundles.

--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM

office: +1 386 848 1781