[equinox-dev] News from Equinox Aspects

Hi,

Equinox Aspects (some time ago also called AOSGi) has been around for quite a while now. There has been a lot of community feedback and we have even seen Equinox Aspects performing in real-world projects. Therefore the Equinox Aspects team thinks that it is time to move one big step forward: We aim at graduating from incubator.

One first task to achieve this goal was to align with common Eclipse/Equinox "release" and naming conventions:

In the past we created some packages called releases without proper reviews and also used version numbers >= 1. We currently took all these back. In the future we will create development and milestone builds on our way to a formal 1.0 release. Our current build is "200807082136 development", the first milestone build is scheduled for August 8th. Please ignore all former versions.

We also renamed the bundles to better fit into the Eclipse/Equinox world:
org.aspectj.osgi -> org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook
org.aspectj.osgi.service.weaving -> org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspectj
org.aspectj.osgi.service.caching -> org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.caching
org.aspectj.osgi.service.caching.j9 ->
org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.caching.j9

Please ignore the old bundles from now on. Migrating your system from the old bundles to the new one should be pretty easy. Just ensure that your configuration refers now to the new bundles instead of the old ones, thats it.

If you are interested in our release plan, already added featurs and fixed bugs, please take a look at our Wiki page:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_Aspects_Plan

We are looking forward to your feedback and ideas.

Regards
Martin and Heiko

Back to the top