Re: [equinox-dev] The org.eclipse.equinox.security.secureStorage extension point

Hi Thomas,
It has been tested without SWT; I just re-checked it to be sure - works fine for me.

Regarding your concerns on the optional dependency: Consider that to get to the code you copied you need:

- Not be in a headless run (the secure storage sets an option to suppress prompts for headless runs and JUnits), and
- Have a error in the secure storage where the master password can not be decrypted

Next, if execution path does get to that code, it catches the NoClassDefFoundError and eventually translates it into StorageException(StorageException.NO_PASSWORD).

In principle, VM could be constructed to load class files eagerly. Practically, VMs try to load as little as they can to speed up the processing. To be on the safe side, the usual approach is to isolate code dealing with optional bundles into a separate class. (This is not always necessary but saves a lot of thinking.)

So, that code works without SWT. As for "been thoroughly tested" I'll leave that to the Eclipse QA team to answer.

Back to secure storage: do you still see the problem? If you see it with the current version of the x86 fragment, please open a bug with steps to reproduce.

Thanks,
Oleg Besedin

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>

07/03/2008 10:36 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] The        org.eclipse.equinox.security.secureStorage        extension point

Hi Oleg,
I confused the extension id with the class name. I'm using the 3.4
release of the delta pack. The fragment.xml declares:

extension id="WindowsPasswordProvider"

which should be OK since the comparison that is made when finding it is
case insensitive.

Now I'm starting to wonder, could this be caused by the optional
dependency on org.eclipse.swt? This bundle is deliberately omitted from
my setup. I found this piece of code:

try {
   if (!WinCryptoUI.canRecreatePassword())
       return null;
} catch (NoClassDefFoundError exception) {
   return null;
}

and that makes me wonder. Does this really work? Isn't there a fair
chance that the JVM will attempt to resolve the class before it enters
the try/catch? I wouldn't be surprised if the optimizer, while doing
first pass rudimentary inlining, in fact attempts to resolve this class
too early and thus fails. Has this been thoroughly tested without swt
present?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren