Re: [equinox-dev] P2 touchpoint instructions doc

Simon, thanks for the review and update of the Touchpoint instruction page. It is now starting to make sense :)

A couple of notes and questions:
- With the current encoding (a map of instructions), it is not possible to use the same instruction type more than once. Is this intentional? What if the author needs to create two directories etc? (I am asking because if this will be changed in the future I want to allow the user to add more than one of the same instruction type). I think I may have understood the format wrong. Does an instance of TouchpointData describe one instruction?
- Why the special use of "@artifact" instead of an injected parameter like "artifactDir" that can be included with ${artifactDir} ? (I am asking because I am thinking about what kind of editing support to offer - perhaps browse/select from available parameters, and the @artifact is different than the other parameters).
- How are actions executed during the phases? (I have not studied the code), but it seems logical that what is specified in the IU's touchpoint data gets executed during install and uninstall - and that the install phase  executes the Action's "execute" the uninstall executes the Action's "undo" - is this correct?

On 20 jun 2008, at 04.56, Simon Kaegi wrote:

> I have now written a wiki page: http://wiki.eclipse.org/
> Equinox_p2_Touchpoint_Instructions describing the touchpoint
> instructions for the native and eclipse touchpoints, their
> parameters, and how I think it works after reading the code. There
> are places where I need help (indicated by blue comment boxes), but
> I may have gotten other things wrong as well.

> It is probably of value to also describe the parameters inserted by
> the engine as these can be used in parameter substitution. I don't
> know if it is intended, but it seems very powerful to be able to
> reference the "previous value". Shall I just make a list of what I
> find, and include it?

> So, I hope someone has time to review and comment on the
> documentation on the wiki page.

Great job.
I'll go through and review tomorrow.
While reading through I recognized there is some overlap with an earlier page -- http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Engine
Your presentation is vastly better and easier to understand so I'll go through and do some merging/updating/re-organizing of that content.

Thanks.
-Simon