Re: [equinox-dev] P2 and installHandlers

Thanks for the additional information. It looks like we are going to stick
with using Update Manager for this release, and work on migrating to P2 in
a future (post-Eclipse 3.4) release.

Our install handlers went a bit beyond unzipping the files. We actually
extracted from .JAR files, but this had only one small benefit below. We
also:
1. set permissions on files based on attributes in the .JAR file manifest.
The native touchpoint appears to support the "chmod" command, but a quick
look at the code suggests that this will only work on platforms that
actually have a "chmod" executable. We are installing on Windows, so
"chmod" is only there if we put it there.
2. reference count and version the files installed in this way. If we use
the default native touchpoint, we will have to restructure our product so
that the native IUs do not overlap, meaning more IUs and more dependency
management. This will take some time, but can be done.
3. we are using the Windows Shell API in one case to find the path to
C:\Program Files\Common Files. Obviously this is a pretty special case.
4. we are poking some data into the Windows registry. Again, a bit of a
special case.

It sounds like we will really need to provide our own Touchpoint. The
problem with this is that, at least now, we will have the same problem as
we do with InstallHandlers. In particular, our update process becomes a
two-stage process:

Stage one: update the "platform" feature/IU that contains the
InstallHandler/Touchpoint
Restart Eclipse or apply changes
Stage two: update the remaining features/IUs.

This is a burden on our customers becuase they need to hit the update site
twice, not just once. We had to release an app note to explain how to
update, which should not be the way.

A while back Doug Schaefer started a discussion about marking an IU
containing an Eclipse plug-in in some way to indicate that it should be
activated before installing other IUs. This would allow you to activate
the plug-in containing your Touchpoint as part of a single-step update
containing many other IUs. I tried to follow the thread in the archive,
but it doesn't look like it ever got resolved. For us, this would be a
very useful feature.

The other problem that I am trying to sort out is how to generate metadata
for native IUs. It seems like one might need to author this manually. Is
there any way to integrate this into a metadata generator build? In
particular, all of the dependency information from features and plug-ins
needs to get into the metadata, plus we need to integrate the metadata for
native IUs and the dependencies among all of these components. Absent any
better way, it looks like we will have to write a script to mash together
the output from the metadata generator and our own metadata, or maybe
write our own variant of the metadata generator.

David.

Pascal Rapicault <Pascal_Rapicault@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 06/20/2008
03:12:52 PM: