Re: [equinox-dev] new to OSGI: question about hot-swapping

Hi Dominik,

You should consider asking general OSGi questions on the OSGi Developer Mail List <osgi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

When updating a bundle, the old version gets stopped but the classloader and contents are still available to load classes from. Any clients which import packages from the updated bundle will still be wired to the old content of the bundle. Only when you call PackageAdmin.refreshPackages with the updated bundle do you force the bundles wired to the old version of the bundle to get "refreshed" and wired to the packages exported by new version of the bundle.

In other words, bundle updates/uninstalls are not effective immediately because we want to control the flux in the system when updating/uninstall bundles in the system. Instead the content enters a "pending" removal state that can get flushed by using PackageAdmin.

Tom

Inactive hide details for Dominik Pich ---06/03/2008 01:38:01 AM---Hi, Im new to Equinox and OSGI and am mainly trying to leverDominik Pich ---06/03/2008 01:38:01 AM---Hi, Im new to Equinox and OSGI and am mainly trying to leverage OSGI's hot-

Dominik Pich <Dominik@xxxxxxxxx>

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/03/2008 01:38 AM

[equinox-dev] new to OSGI: question about hot-swapping

Hi,
Im new to Equinox and OSGI and am mainly trying to leverage OSGI's hot-
swapping feature. I wonder about one thing in this context:

1. what happens when I hot-deploy a NEW version of my bundle WHILE the
old one is still working? Will Equinox automatically delay  deploying
the new one?

2. or should I kinda... always use versioning and explicitly query for
the version I want? (can I even do that?^^)

Regards,
Dominik