Re: [equinox-dev] Question regarding class loader and getPackages()

equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 2008/06/02 08:58:36 AM:

> [image removed]

> [equinox-dev] Question regarding class loader and getPackages()

> Jan Stette

> to:

> Equinox development mailing list

> 2008/06/02 08:59 AM

> Sent by:

> equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

> I'm trying to call Package.getPackages() in some code in an OSGi
> bundle.  This calls into getPackages on the classloader, where I'm
> observing that:
>
> 1.  The call is not overridden in the Equinox classloader, so the
> default implementation in java.lang.ClassLoader is used.  Hence,
> only the bundle's own packages, and the system packages are returned.

I don't think imported packages should be listed since they are imported from other bundles.

> 2.  Only packages from which at least one class has been loaded are
> returned.  So, if a class hasn't been loaded from a given package,
> it won't be included in the returned list.
>
> I haven't found anything in the OSGi or Java language specs that
> specify this, but I expected all packages that the bundle
> classloader can see to be returned, something aking to the java doc
> description of Package.getPackages(): "Get all the packages
> currently known for the caller's ClassLoader instance. Those

The packages "currently known" are those for which at least one successful class load has occurred. There is no reliable or specified way for a class loader to "know" all the classes which it can successfully load.