From: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff McAffer
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 3:27 PM
To: 'Equinox development mailing list'
Subject: RE: [equinox-dev] [prov] Discourages access

It was the joint decision of the team and the PMC that p2 would not have any API.  By definition, anything that is not API is marked as x-internal = true.  As a result, and by design, you get a warning that you are using something that is not API.  I agree that this is annoying however, no one will ever be able to say they were not warned that the stuff was not API (believe me, many people have tried to claim they didn’t know that stuff was not API)

It would be interesting to raise an enhancement request on PDE to allow developers to ignore the errors/warnings from certain bundles.  The problem now is that if you turn off the warning you don’t get it for any other uses of non-API.

Another strategy that we talked about at the time was introducing something like x-api:= [internal | provisional |stable]  This would institutionalize the notion of provisional API. This could then be tooled accordingly.  Of course, it opens a number of other issues but they might be worth considering as the main problem here is real.

Jeff