Re: [equinox-dev] How to use p2.generator in PDE build

Torkild,
You can see the calls to the director that we use in the headless SDK build in
org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder/equinox/buildConfigs/equinox.prov/run.xml  (run.director).  (This project is in cvs at dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/eclipse)

In particular, we pass -nosplash and --launcher.suppressErrors.  The suppressError supresses UI error dialogs and instead prints errors to stderr.

I'm not sure about the security problems, this could be eclipse trying to access a secure preference store (?).

-Andrew

Torkild Ulvøy Resheim <Torkild.Ulvoy-Resheim@xxxxxxxxx>

05/21/2008 09:19 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] How to use p2.generator in PDE build

Thanks John and Andrew,

I was able to create metadata that looks sane. There was some issues with a
trailing "\n\" following the license in my feature.properties that ended up
as illegal XML characters in the content.xml though. I was as suggested using
the following properties in the build settings:

generate.p2.metadata=true
p2.metadata.repo = file:${buildDirectory}/repo
p2.artifact.repo = file:${buildDirectory}/repo
p2.metadata.repo.name = Meta Repo Name
p2.artifact.repo.name = Artifact Repo Name
p2.flavor = tooling
p2.publish.artifacts=true

So now I'm attempting to create an installation using the repository and the
p2 director, I've tried both the ANT task and calls from the command line but
not much happens. Since all my build scripts are designed to run using xvfb
(because of the GUI tests at the end) it took a while before I noticed that
the director actually has a splash screen and shows error messages in a
dialog. What about headless builds? Anyways I finally got it to run and it
creates a p2 folder inside my install location containing:

* org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core
* org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine
* org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director

The process continues to do apparently nothing. The splash screen does not
disappear and the process never exits. I checked the log file from launching
the director and it states:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 4 0 2008-05-21 14:57:20.894
!MESSAGE No password provided.
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.equinox.security.storage.StorageException: No password provided.
       at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.security.storage.SecurePreferences.get(SecurePreferences.java:264)
       at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.security.storage.SecurePreferencesWrapper.get(SecurePreferencesWrapper.java:106)
       at
org.eclipse.core.internal.net.ProxyType.loadProxyAuth(ProxyType.java:495)
       at
etc...

So could it be that it fails because I'm behind a password protected proxy? Is
there a way of not connecting to the Internet when resolving bundle
dependencies (which I'm guessing that it's doing)?
--
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim
Senior Design Engineer