Re: [equinox-dev] How to use p2.generator in PDE build

Hi Torkild,

Here is a document describing the metadata generator:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Metadata_Generator

The ant task doesn't yet have documentation, but it takes the same arguments as the generator application. You just need to convert the command line syntax to Ant syntax. For an example, you could look at the Eclipse project scripts that p2-enable the platform itself. See /cvsroot/eclipse/org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder/equinox/buildConfigs/equinox.prov/run.xml, particularly the "run.generator" target.

Feel free to annotate the wiki page with any other details you find useful.

John

Torkild Ulvøy Resheim <Torkild.Ulvoy-Resheim@xxxxxxxxx>

05/20/2008 09:50 AM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] How to use p2.generator in PDE build

Hi all,

I'm in the process of migrating our Eclipse based product to Ganymede and have
a few issues with p2.

Building the product as usual using the PDE build scripts works nicely but
creates a product that cannot be updated as it states 'Cannot launch the
Update UI. This installation has not been configured properly for Software
Updates.'

After quite a lot of digging I've found that the product must be p2-ized which
seems like a good idea. I also found a reference to the "p2.generator" ANT
task but absolutely no information on how to use it.

Could someone please point me to the right direction here? I guess I must use
this task somewhere in customCallbacks.xml or the new customAssembly.xml but
I cannot figure out where and which attributes to set.
--
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim
Senior Design Engineer