Re: [equinox-dev] Incubator request for Extensions/Services Integration work

+1 from me. If needed, I can help with IPZilla.

The area probably could be created with a more general purpose - something like "component models investigation"? equinox-incubator/component-model/service-injection

Thanks,
Oleg

"Neil Bartlett" <njbartlett@xxxxxxxxx>

03/27/2008 10:53 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Incubator request for Extensions/Services Integration        work

Hello,

I have been doing some investigative work recently in the area of
integrating extensions with OSGi services. As a result of this, I have
developed a small framework for dynamically injecting services into
extension objects according to metadata defined via the extension
registry. As a very simple example, suppose we have an extension
object (e.g. a ViewPart) which has a method
setLogReader(LogReaderService). We can declare an "injected bean"
extension as follows:

   <extension point="...injectedBeans">
       <bean id="logReaderView"
             class="org...LogReaderView">
           <injectSingle interface="org.osgi.service.log.LogReaderService"
                         set="setLogReader"/>
       </bean>
   </extension>

And then the actual view extension as:

   <extension point="org.eclipse.ui.views">
       <view class="org...InjectedExtensionFactory:logReaderView"
             name="Log Reader"/>
   </extension>

This results in all objects instantiated from the log view extension
being dynamically injected with the log reader service as it becomes
available (and un-injected when it goes away).

I would like to request a work area under the Equinox incubator as a
home for this code so that others can test it and experiment with this
and other approaches to the extensions/services integration problem.

Regards,
Neil