Re: [equinox-dev] P2 UI separation

I realized I sent this in reply to the wrong email. This is in reply to your other question about separating the UI code out of the installer.

John

John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM

03/17/2008 09:51 AM

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] P2 artifact repositories and cachingLink

Hi Thomas,

That code in the installer plug-in was never intended as API, and I don't recommend it as something for you to be calling. I suggest just looking at the code in the installer as an example of how to setup and invoke the IDirector API. IDirector is really the API you want to be calling. The rest of the code in the installer is just doing various setup and cleanup that is likely not easily generalized. You can also see the director application for a slightly simpler usage of the director API (the Application class in the org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director bundle).

On the other hand, the code in the installer that touches SWT is quite minimal and has been carefully abstracted out. The installer should really only have an optional dependency on SWT, since it can fall back to a headless install if SWT is not there.

John

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>

03/17/2008 06:45 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] P2 artifact repositories and caching

In Buckminster, we need a global artifact cache for downloaded things.
What I envision is a cache that can use different strategies to decide
whether or not the local content is up-to-date. One such strategy could
be to compare with a remote digest of some sort (md5 for instance).
Another could be to verify the consistency of a local compressed archive
and be satisfied with the exact same size (not 100% safe of course, but
in some cases its sufficient).

I found the BlobStore in p2 and that will help some. I was under the
impression that a "download manager" was under development that would
address caching issues like the ones I mention. Are there more things
under development that are not covered by the current team project set?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren