Von: Stuempert, Mathias IWR
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Februar 2008 11:18
An: 'platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'
Cc: mknauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'Ariel Garcia'; 'Harald Kornmayer'
Betreff: Possible Platform contributions from g-Eclipse

Dear Platform-Team,

The g-Eclipse team (http://www.eclipse.com/geclipse) thinks about contributing its problem reporting mechanism (and maybe a few other things) to the platform itself. Therefore I would like to draw your attention to a talk we will give at this year’s EclipseCon:

http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=491

We would be happy to see at least one representative of the platform team in our talk in order to maybe afterwards start a first discussion if you are interested in integrating the problem reporting into the platform. You’ll find a draft of the talk at the above mentioned web page. Just to give you a short introduction to what we are talking about …

The g-Eclipse problem reporting extends the error reporting of g-Eclipse by the possibility to add solutions to a problem that has occurred. Therefore we introduce a new exception – called ProblemException – that extends the CoreException. This exception may have an associated IProblem. This problem may have associated ISolutions. The solutions may be either passive – i.e. consisting of just a descriptive text – or active. In the second case they will appear in our ProblemDialog – which inherits from the ErrorDialog – as Links triggering an action that may help the user to solve the problem. Both problems and solutions may either be defined programmatically, i.e. in the source code, or declaratively, i.e. with the help of a dedicated extension point.

So the key point of the new mechanism is that we are not only presenting plain texts describing an error but also give further reasons for the error and even more important solutions how this error can be solved.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions or remarks.

Kind regards,

Mathias Stümpert

Dr. Mathias Stümpert

Project Coordinator