Re: [equinox-dev] Building against specific EEs

> Ok, I have a few ... I'm not familiar with the background, so I'm
> not sure if I need to know or not. :)
>
> > eRCP XML bundles
>
> What are these?
> Can the ones in Orbit work? Such as javax.xml_1.3.4

Yes, I believe we could use this bundle as well. (or Xerces, etc) We just
need the XML APIs to compile against.

> > Note that this will require people to have the XML APIs available in
their
> > workspace if they are set up with exact match VMs.
>
> What's exact match mean? You mean lower than 1.4 or Java 5 VMs?
>
> > We will adjust the project set files to load
> > Xerces or the bundles from eRCP, accordingly.
>
> According to what? And, are you saying never from the VM?

If you add a Foundation VM to your list of installed JREs and it is
correctly identified as an exact match to that profile, then you will not
get (for instance) the XML APIs for free (from the VM) so you need you have
another bundle in your workspace which can provide them.

If you don't have a lower profile (like Foundation) VM installed, then you
will not be effected because 1.4/1.5/1.6 VMs are considered to be
compatible and your bundles will still resolve and function correctly.

Here is a (probably a little out-dated) wiki page that we put together with
a bit more info on EEs and setting things up.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Execution_Environments