Re: [equinox-dev] p2 repository optimization

Thanks for the data point.

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |02/14/2008 06:01 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [equinox-dev] p2 repository optimization                                                                                                      |

>  > 4. It was mentioned in the reply below that "delta creation and
>  > recreation is time and space intensive, and the client should only
>  > download a delta in certain circumstances.." So should I expect that
>  > even tho I have a smaller "optimized" repository that the update of
>  > the jars will actually take longer than just updating full versions
>  > of the jars?
>       I don't numbers, however this will definitely happen depending on
>  what your bandwidth to the server is. For example, when we turned on
>  pack200 support (which requires a non trivial processing on the client),
>  the installation of the SDK from a LAN slowed down because of the
>  computation involved to unpack the jar on the client. However from home,
>  things went much faster.

I did some quick tests a while ago comparing using pack200 vs
uncompressed jars for webstart downloads.
On a busy LAN, I got about 7 MB/s for uncompressed download vs 800
KB/s for compressed download + unpacking.
Tests done on a 40 Mb set of jars, with a compression ratio of 50%.
YMMV but there is clearly a very big overhead for unpacking.

Tom