Re: [equinox-dev] p2 repository optimization

Thanks for the info on the repository optimizations and the updates to the wiki page.

A couple of follow-up questions
1. If this support will not be in p2 release 1.0 ( which I believe is equivalent to eclipse 3.4 ), which eclipse release is it planned for and ( what is that target complete date for the specified eclipse release?)

2. One of the reasons we are interested in this repository optimization is that for maintenace or point releases we would like to provide a "smaller" package. i.e. only include these optimized jar files with changes ( whether we would use the delta or full optimized jars - not sure yet ).

3. So I image the tools will at some point proivde an ide interface to create a repository" ( similar to creating an update site today )?

4. It was mentioned in the reply below that "delta creation and recreation is time and space intensive, and the client should only download a delta in certain circumstances.." So should I expect that even tho I have a smaller "optimized" repository that the update of the jars will actually take longer than just updating full versions of the jars?

thanks, Janet

Janet Dmitrovich
WPLC Expeditor Software Development
jdmitrov@xxxxxxxxxx
512-838-4912 T/L:678-4912 FAX:512-838-3703
11501 Burnet Road, Austin TX 78758 (Internal ZIP: 9372)

Inactive hide details for Stefan Liebig ---02/13/2008 01:55:35 PM---There is already some work done in p2 but it will probably Stefan Liebig ---02/13/2008 01:55:35 PM---There is already some work done in p2 but it will probably not get into p2 version 1.0. I will explain the reasons for that lat

          Stefan Liebig <Stefan.Liebig@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

          02/13/2008 01:54 PM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

Re: [equinox-dev] p2 repository optimization

There is already some work done in p2 but it will probably not get into p2 version 1.0. I will explain the reasons for that later.
Full Delta optimization works similar as the Jar Delta Optimization except that the full delta algorithm used is a binary delta algorithm working on the byte level. The binary delta algorithm we use is an extension of jbdiff (
http://freshmeat.net/projects/jbdiff/) .
The optimization creates deltas between artifacts of different versions. For compressed artifacts (jar/zip) the artifacts will first be decompressed and than the delta generation is performed on the uncompressed artifacts. The client can now choose a delta for download if it has the required ´base´ artifact version ´locally´ available. With this base version and the delta the ´targeted´ artifact version can be recreated.
This delta creation and recreation is time and space intensive and the client should only download a delta in certain circumstances, e.g. low bandwidth connection, expansive connection, good processing speed and enough memory of client machine. The current p2 DownloadManager will probably not be able to reach a decision on what the best download strategy could be.

Stefan

Janet Dmitrovich wrote:

GIF image

GIF image