Re: [equinox-dev] Support for launching with just (Conditional) Permission Admin?

I think your interpretation of the specification is correct according to 9.10. But I think it poses quite a dilemma for boot strapping the Framework with permissions. Imagine a framework that has ConditionalPermissionAdmin with no ConditionalPermissionInfo object. If the "default default" pemissions are ignored in this case then then all bundles installed in the framework will have no permissions by default. This makes it hard for a boot strap bundle to setup permissions because it will not have the right permissions to do so. Here is what Equinox does.

- PA's location bound permissions, if present for a given bundle, are used and all CPA tuples are ignored.
- If at least one tuple condition is satisfied for a given bundle then the permissions granted by CPA are used
- If no tuple exist where the conditions are satisfied for a given bundle then finally the default permissions are use from PA.

This allows for AllPermissions to be granted to all bundles by default until an admin bundle can be executed to setup the policy in CPA. I will have to open a bug against the OSGi specification to get clarification on this situation. There have been some recent threads on the osgi-dev mailing list that implies that the greater OSGi community of experts think that the OSGi Framework is wide open (grant bundles AllPermissions by default) until an admin bundle locks it down by setting permissions with either PA or CPA. But section 9.10 seems to go against this thinking.

Tom

Inactive hide details for Marcel Offermans ---02/07/2008 09:47:42 AM---The spec, in 9.10, explains the relation between CPA andMarcel Offermans ---02/07/2008 09:47:42 AM---The spec, in 9.10, explains the relation between CPA and PA, and states "The default conditions of Permission Admin are therefo

Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@xxxxxxxxxx>

02/07/2008 09:47 AM

Re: [equinox-dev] Support for launching with just (Conditional) Permission Admin?

The spec, in 9.10, explains the relation between CPA and PA, and states "The default conditions of Permission Admin are therefore never used when Conditional Permission Admin is present." (last sentence of next to last paragraph).

From your explanation below I get the impression that default conditions still have an influence.

In short my interpretation, when CPA and PA are present, is that:
- PA's default permissions get ignored completely
- PA's location bound permissions, if present, should be used (in which case, the CPA is completely ignored)
- CPA's permissions should be used in all other cases.

What do you think?

Greetings, Marcel