Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] Download manager support for pack200

Just out of curiosity, why do you use the external binary to do the pack/unpack and not the java.util.jar.Pack200 class? It seems to me that a fragment that is EE dependent (require Java 1.5 or higher) would be ideal here. Those who run lower then Java 5 simply would not have pack200 which is kind of natural isn't it?

- thomas

Jeff McAffer wrote:
right but there is the practical detail that the exe you need comes with Java 5 or later and the licensing does not likely allow you to ship just the unpack200 exe. But that is a matter for someone's legal team. As John says, the unpack support simply cares whether or not the exe is there.
What we really need is an open source implementation of unpack that runs on/with Foundation...

Jeff

John Arthorne wrote:

Just to clarify, the JRE level doesn't matter here. Unpack is performed by a standalone unpack200 executable that doesn't require presence of a JVM. You can run with a Foundation class library, plus a standalone unpack200 executable from Java 5 or Java 6.

*Jim Colson <jccolson@xxxxxxxxxx>*

01/24/2008 09:18 PM
Please respond to

cc
Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] Download manager support for pack200

how would that work on J2ME (CDC/Foundatoin)?

________________________________________ Jim Colson, Chief Architect - IBM Client Software Distinguished Engineer IBM Academy of Technology Board Member - IT Architect Certification

11501 Burnet Rd. Austin, TX 78758
Ph 512-823-7357, Fax 512-838-0962
email: jccolson@xxxxxxxxxx

Admin:  Sandra Wallis 512-838-3241
email:  swallis@xxxxxxxxxx

I seem to remember that someone was working on adding to support to our
download manager to favor downloading pack200'ed artifacts over canonical
ones.
Did that ever made it into the code?

Thx

PaScaL