Re: [equinox-dev] [p2] Origins and use of OrderedProperties

The origin of OrderedProperties was, as you aptly put,  for the purpose of creating a consistent serialized representation. Careful use of Map in the APIs should be fine.

        - Dave

John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>

11/06/2007 04:39 PM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] [p2] Origins and use of OrderedProperties

Most API in p2 that deals in properties use the OrderedProperties class. For my own education, what is the reasoning for using this special class rather than just generic Map? Clearly specifying APIs in terms of Map would give us greater room for evolving the implementation in the future, so I'm wondering what advantages OrderedProperties gives us. Note that there are two unrelated considerations here - what class to use in the implementation, and what class/interface to put in method arguments and return types. I'm only concerned right now with the API signatures.  Is it of interest to clients that the property order is maintained, or is this just used for the purpose of creating a consistent serialized representation?