Re: [equinox-dev] Best time to engage

Thomas,

The main goal of M3 was to define what we actually want to do for 3.4.  While that is not completely documented (M3 is this week), we are largely on track to meet that goal.  The API will likely chanage somewhat over the next few milestones but you should not be afraid of that.  In fact, it is this kind of interaction (others trying p2 on their usecases) that will help shape the API.  As for XML schemas, there are currently no plans to publish any.  The p2 metadata is described by objects (IInstallableUnit and the like).  Various repositories will store that information in various ways.  Someone implementing a repository may choose to publish the internal details of their on-disk format but as I say, we are not planning on doing that.

It would be great to find out what you are planning on doing and how it goes.
Jeff

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>

10/29/2007 08:24 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Best time to engage

Hi,
I've been following the p2 project fairly closely and the closer it gets
to a stable API, the more interesting it gets for us (Buckminster) to be
able to integrate with it. I regret that I missed the opportunity to
attend the provisioning workshop in September as I'm sure that would
have been a great opportunity to touch base.

Reading the p2 plan I can see that you are now close to the M3 milestone
(November 2) and I'm wondering if that would be a good time for the
Buckminster team to start the integration work needed in order to
consume your model artifacts. Do you consider your model fairly stable
at this point or will it be significantly modified in the coming milestones?

I was trying to find the XML schemas for the various artifacts mentioned
but I wasn't able to. Are they published somewhere?

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren