Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 / browser integration

Obviously the best thing about this approach is that there is no native code to worry about!

Having the 2nd/3rd/Nth instances register with the first via the standard port is a great idea. If the first instance shuts down gracefully, it could actually poke one of the registered instances to attempt a takeover of the standard port immediately. You'd still need the instances to occasionally poll the main port (as described in the wiki) to handle the case where the main instance crashed or otherwise disappeared.

Only thing I don't like about the servlet approach is that if no Eclipse instances are running, the link from the browser just fails, and the user is left with a 404 error. We might be able to do some tricky javascript code that would actually embed an image or text link that pulls content from localhost:34567. By default it shows a "Detecting Eclipse..." message or standard download link, which gets replaced/hidden if localhost:34567 returns content.

I'll definitely pull down the project from the update site and check it out.

-Brett

Michael Robb wrote:
While I completely agree that we need some easy method of installing and
that it would be ideal to do so from a web browser, wouldn't this
solution require one to basically do all of their browsing from within
Eclipse?

For Summer of Code this year I worked on a project [1] that would
allow for the update URL to be passed to an Eclipse instance (from
either an external or internal browser) without the need for a native
application. I've also implemented a first attempt at support for
dealing with multiple instances (the way this works is outlined on the
wiki).

In theory, if one were to create a command(via the platform command
framework) that provides the update functionality, a link could be
placed on a site to simplify the update process as follows

http://localhost:34567/?command=installUpdate&location=http://someUpdateURL/

For anyone interested in test driving the project there's an update
site listed on the wiki.

Michael

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Web_Interface

Brett R. Hackleman