Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 / browser integration

Thx. We will definitely take a look at it.
Is your code already in the eclipse ipzilla pipeline? Would you have the
ipzilla number?

  From:       "Michael Robb" <michael.robb@xxxxxxxxx>

  To:         equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

  Date:       10/25/2007 09:05 PM

  Subject:    Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 / browser integration

> While I completely agree that we need some easy method of installing and
> that it would be ideal to do so from a web browser, wouldn't this
> solution require one to basically do all of their browsing from within
> Eclipse?

For Summer of Code this year I worked on a project [1] that would
allow for the update URL to be passed to an Eclipse instance (from
either an external or internal browser) without the need for a native
application. I've also implemented a first attempt at support for
dealing with multiple instances (the way this works is outlined on the
wiki).

In theory, if one were to create a command(via the platform command
framework) that provides the update functionality, a link could be
placed on a site to simplify the update process as follows

http://localhost:34567/?command=installUpdate&location=http://someUpdateURL/

For anyone interested in test driving the project there's an update
site listed on the wiki.

Michael

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Web_Interface