Re: [equinox-dev] [p2] ProcessingStepHandler.canProcess(IArtifactDescriptor descriptor) ..

you are exactly right.  Basically I put this in place late last night to ensure that if you were running on something less than 1.5 there was a hope of it working.  Clearly there is way more than we can and need to do here.  In reality this code should be in the DownloadManager that Tim et al are working on.  We can incrementally improve what we have in the near term.  I was a little concerned that there would be too much overhead in the selection process.

Jeff

Stefan Liebig <Stefan.Liebig@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

10/24/2007 04:55 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] [p2]        ProcessingStepHandler.canProcess(IArtifactDescriptor descriptor) ..

.. is currently used within the MirrorRequest to decide whether a
´optimized´ artifact should be used for mirroring. The current logic to
decide whether this can be done is only based on the fact that all
required processing step implementations (extensions) are available.
I think that this is not sufficient, because:
- for the unpack200, the unpack200.exe may not be available
(o.e.e.i.p2.jarprocessor.UnpackStep.canUnpack() )
- for the delta steps, the required predecessor artifact may not be
locally available

In such cases the canProcess() would return true, but processing would fail.
Do I miss something?

Stefan