Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 / browser integration

At the Equinox summit there was some discussion around how to discover and communicate with existing instances of Eclipse when either someone double clicks on a shortcut or clicks on a link in a browser.  There was some discussion around a Google SOC project as well as the use of commands and console integration.  It would be good for someone to prototype an actual working setup here so that we can kick around various options and approaches.  For the first cut there does not seem to be a need for doing native stuff (seems like an optimization).  I noticed the other day that ECF has some discovery code that might make sense here as well?

anyone willing to look at this and do a prototype?

Jeff

Brett Hackleman <bh@xxxxxxxxxx>

10/23/2007 12:22 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 / browser integration

Forgot to mention some simple approaches we could also consider for the UpdateManager:

1. The UI could detect a standard http:// site or feature URL on the clipboard, or allow the user to
paste it easily into the main UM dialog without forcing them to "Add Remote Site..."

or even better,

2. The UI could allow links to be drag and dropped from the browser, into the main Eclipse workbench
or the UM, kicking off the install.  Providing sample "Eclipse package, drag to install" graphics
for use on the web could make this more intuitive.

(Susan, I haven't looked at the new UI yet, so please forgive me if some of this is no longer
applicable)

-Brett

Jeff McAffer wrote:

> I agree that forcing people to browse via Elcipse is unfortunate.  It
> will address some of the usecases but not all.
>
> As for XPI, I'm not sure we need to define some new packaging.  We have
> the p2 stuff so all we really need to do is give p2 enough data that is
> knows what it is to install.  In theory this could be as simple as the
> ID and version of an IU.  p2 does the rest based on the current settings
> etc of the agent.  XPI seemed like overkill in our situation.
>
> Jeff
>

> *Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx>*
> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 10/23/2007 11:10 AM
> Please respond to
> Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx>; Please respond to

> cc
>
> Subject
>                  Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 / browser integration
>

> Hi,
>
> * Chris Aniszczyk <zx@xxxxxxxxxx> [2007-10-23 10:36]:
>  > If you use the Eclipse browser to browse download sites or something
>  > like EPIC
>
> While I completely agree that we need some easy method of installing and
> that it would be ideal to do so from a web browser, wouldn't this
> solution require one to basically do all of their browsing from within
> Eclipse?
>
> As hard as it will be, I think native handlers are the way to go here.
> I'd love to be proven wrong, though, because I know how difficult it
> will be -- especially with multiple running Eclipse instances.
>
> Andrew

Brett R. Hackleman
Vice-President

Band XI International, LLC