Re: [equinox-dev] Proposal for an OSGi spec work area in the equinox incubator

+1

  From:       Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>

  To:         equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

  Date:       10/16/2007 05:31 PM

  Subject:    [equinox-dev] Proposal for an OSGi spec work area in the equinox  incubator

I would like to start a new work area in the Equinox incubator to support
prototyping and investigating future OSGi specifications. The goal behind
this work area is to develop an implementation of the specification as the
specification is being developed.

This work area will allow others to more easily join in on the
investigations for future OSGi implementations. To begin with this work
area would be used to implement the next release of the OSGi Framework, but
other future OSGi specifications could also be contributed. This will also
allow Equinox to provide reference implementations to OSGi without
effecting the current Eclipse release. We would only graduate the code out
of the incubator once the OSGi specification has gone public/final and we
can align it with a major Eclipse release.

I would like to take a vote to approve the OSGi spec work area in the
equinox incubator.

Tom

----- Forwarded by Thomas Watson/Austin/IBM on 10/16/2007 03:45 PM -----

 (Embedded image moved to    (Embedded image moved to file: pic20264.gif)
 file: pic15752.gif)         Thomas Watson/Austin/IBM

 (Embedded image moved to    (Embedded image moved to file: pic25645.gif)
 file: pic26348.gif)         equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

 (Embedded image moved to    (Embedded image moved to file: pic05538.gif)
 file: pic27504.gif)         10/12/2007 01:34 PM

 (Embedded image moved to    (Embedded image moved to file: pic16723.gif)
 file: pic21759.gif)         OSGi R4.2 Stream

The OSGi Alliance is busy working on the next release of the specification.
The release of the next OSGi specification will be long after the Eclipse
3.4 (Ganymede) release. To achieve a stable Ganymede release we will not
release new OSGi R4.2 API or implement new R4.2 functions in the Ganymede
stream (HEAD).

We need a place where we can continue to implement and prototype the next
OSGi specification release as it is being developed. I see two options.

1) Create an area in the Equinox incubator to develop the OSGi R4.2
implementation
2) Create a branch off of the current Ganymede stream (HEAD) for OSGi R4.2
implementation

I prefer using a branch instead of a separate repository project in the
incubator because it will make life easier when developing streams in
parallel, which we will likely need to do until the Ganymede release in
June 2008. I plan to create a branch based of next weeks I-Build for the
OSGi R4.2 work. Please let me know if you have any issues with this.

Tom