Re: [equinox-dev] OSGi R4.2 Stream

There is no technical problems with building out of a branch or the
incubator (except that we would have to run the build separately since
there would be two bundles with the same BSN and therefore two map entries,
etc.).
In the end I was just curious about your intentions.

Wrt to the actual location for the code, I think it depends on whether  you
want to limit your work to only spec work, or if you want to use this as a
place to do bigger overhaul of the fwk.
If you just want to do spec work, then a branch is fine, however for the
other I would go for the incubator.
Also the incubator has the nice attribute that it is easier to make people
committer.

PaScaL

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |10/12/2007 04:05 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [equinox-dev] OSGi R4.2 Stream                                                                                                                |

I would like to publish a build of org.eclipse.osgi for OSGi R4.2. But that
question is orthogonal to where the code lives. We can build out of the
incubator or out of a branch, right?

It is a good question though. I'm not sure where we would publish the build
on the Equinox download site. In the end it is not critical to build it
until the next release of OSGi is closer to being final. By that time
hopefully we would have moved the code into the mainline stream and build
it with the rest of the current release (post 3.4).

Tom

(Embedded image moved to file: pic18849.gif)Inactive hide details for
Pascal Rapicault ---10/12/2007 02:26:20 PM---Do you have plan to publish
builds of what will be develPascal Rapicault ---10/12/2007 02:26:20 PM---Do
you have plan to publish builds of what will be developed?

 (Embedded image  (Embedded image moved to file: pic21527.gif)
 moved to file:   Pascal Rapicault <Pascal_Rapicault@xxxxxxxxxx>
 pic10871.gif)

 (Embedded image  (Embedded image moved to file: pic18432.gif)
 moved to file:   Equinox development mailing list
 pic17038.gif)    <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 (Embedded image  (Embedded image moved to file: pic31885.gif)
 moved to file:   10/12/2007 02:26 PM
 pic13205.gif)

 (Embedded image  (Embedded image moved to file: pic09675.gif)
 moved to file:   Re: [equinox-dev] OSGi R4.2 Stream
 pic01580.gif)

Do you have plan to publish builds of what will be developed?

PaScaL

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

 |Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

 |equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

|------------>
|------------>

 |[equinox-dev] OSGi R4.2 Stream

The OSGi Alliance is busy working on the next release of the specification.
The release of the next OSGi specification will be long after the Eclipse
3.4 (Ganymede) release. To achieve a stable Ganymede release we will not
release new OSGi R4.2 API or implement new R4.2 functions in the Ganymede
stream (HEAD).

We need a place where we can continue to implement and prototype the next
OSGi specification release as it is being developed. I see two options.

1) Create an area in the Equinox incubator to develop the OSGi R4.2
implementation
2) Create a branch off of the current Ganymede stream (HEAD) for OSGi R4.2
implementation

I prefer using a branch instead of a separate repository project in the
incubator because it will make life easier when developing streams in
parallel, which we will likely need to do until the Ganymede release in
June 2008. I plan to create a branch based of next weeks I-Build for the
OSGi R4.2 work. Please let me know if you have any issues with this.

Tom