Re: [equinox-dev] Moving Service Activator Toolkit (SAT) from the Open Healthcare Framework (OHF) to Equinox

As Pascal mentioned SAT would be just one element available from the Equinox project.  Felix has ipojo, jmood, mosgi, ... and other things that are add-on elements people can use in developing their bundles.  SAT is no different.  If (and I mean "if") SAT is adopted by parts of the Eclipse project it would have the beneficial effect of driving the bundle code to be more POJO-ish and thus pave the way for DS, Spring, <whatever> adoption once the story becomes clearer.

As for laziness, yes, this may turn out to be an issue.  But until someone does some investigation it will be unclear how much of an issue.  BTW, at the Equinox summit we had quite a bit of discussion around this and it turns out that most of the same laziness issues arise in the Spring/OSGi work as well.  So any investigations should be mutually beneficial.

Jeff

Peter Kriens <Peter.Kriens@xxxxxxxxx>

10/01/2007 05:18 AM

Please respond to

Patrick Dempsey <pd@xxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Moving Service Activator Toolkit (SAT) from the        Open Healthcare Framework (OHF) to Equinox

I am not sure how to bring this without get yelled at, or at least
become disliked even more :-( However, I think the inclusion of SAT in
Equinox requires some strategic considerations. More is not always
better. I hesitate to bring this up because I like what the BandXI people
(and before OTI) have created, and I thought there tutorial on
EclipseCon was really nice. SAT clearly fulfills a need, hearing the many
satisfied customers.

However, I think it should be reviewed how SAT fits in the overall
programming model for Eclipse. Including it in Equinox will say to the
world that this is the way to program for Equinox, or at least will
confuse the world between SAT and DS.

This library has been around for a very long time and that maturity is
a key advantage. However, it also means that it is not lazy, an
item that Equinox people always have expressed to the extreme. It
introduces yet another service programming model over declarative
services (and the upcoming component model based on Spring). I think
it should also use some of the techniques like Service Tracker instead of
raw service listeners, which can be optimized per platform.

I am -not- saying SAT should -not- be included, I am trying to say that
Equinox should have a more thorough review of what SAT is, and see if
this is the strategic direction they want to take. Including a library
like SAT is not context free.

Sorry to be a pain in the ...

Kind regards,

    Peter Kriens

--
Peter Kriens                              Tel +33467542167
9C, Avenue St. Drézéry                    AOL,Yahoo: pkriens