Re: AW: [equinox-dev] Equinox->Bundles component is getting crowded

can you say more about the mechanism for "tagging"?  The sorts of media/item in question are downloads, bundles in the repo, wiki/web information, posts on the mail list or newsgroup, bugs, ...  Not all need the same level of rigor perhaps.

Jeff

"Arthur van Dorp" <Arthur.vanDorp@xxxxxxxxx>

09/14/2007 01:20 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
AW: [equinox-dev] Equinox->Bundles component is getting crowded

> The challenge is that all
> partitionings will have problems as different people have different
> views on the world.  would the http service be part of "standard
> services" or "server side"?

As an outsider I'd say use tags. HttpService would be tagged "standard"
as well as "server side". That would naturally involve some work on both
front and back end and not in itself guarantee that people would easily
find what they are looking for.

Arthur

Jeff McAffer wrote:

> [...]

> of that community who is plotting the course/planning, coordinating
> execution, building the community, ...  You can replace OSGi service
> spec with p2, security, ...
>
> A number of these issues can be addressed simply by structuring the
> download site or wiki or...  If you address most of them then in
effect
> you have just created a component without actually creating a
component.
>  So what are we afraid of?  Why not reify the structure we think we
have?

> That begs the question, what is the structure? The challenge is that
all
> partitionings will have problems as different people have different
> views on the world.  would the http service be part of "standard
> services" or "server side"?  However the existance of issues need not
> stop progress or movement.  So this discussion is really about
defining
> that structure.  At least thats my view...
>
> Jeff
>

> *BJ Hargrave <hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx>*
> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 09/12/2007 05:13 PM
> Please respond to
> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> cc
>
> Subject
>                  Re: [equinox-dev] Equinox->Bundles component is getting crowded
>

> What is the point of the proposed change?  Tom's mail suggests we
> subdivide bundles. But in what way? To organize commit rights or bugs
in
> bugzilla? Or both? I guess that is what is not clear. Clarity here
will
> help us evaluate choices. It seems we can easily have M bugzilla
> components and N commit right sets with M >=N. Right now (for bundles)
> and N both equal 1. Are we looking to increase M or N or both?
> --
>
> BJ Hargrave
> Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
> OSGi Fellow and CTO of the OSGi Alliance
> hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> office: +1 386 848 1781
> mobile: +1 386 848 3788
>

> From:
> Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To:
> Date:
> 2007-09-12 16:03
> Re: [equinox-dev] Equinox->Bundles component is getting crowded
>

> yes but under the new plan you pointed out, the commit rights will be
> managed by groups and groups will have a 1:1 relationship to
components
> and components will have associated leads, bugzilla entries, websites,
> This is alot of infrastructure to put in place for each bundle.
>
> We did "bundles" originally because we could not come up with any
> reasonable partitioning of the space.  To date we have gotten away
with it
> because a) the number of bundles in there was relatively low and b)
many
> have very little activity.  As Tom points out, this is changing.  Our
> solution space seem to be N bundles => 1 group, N groups or M groups
where
> 1 < M < N.  Unfortunately, it is still not clear that there is a
> reasonable grouping so while (at least to me) M groups feels like a
good
> spot, it will be challenging.  Here are some thoughts
> - "framework" = the framework.  This stays unchanged
> - "standard" = bundles that implement OSGi standard services
> - "p2"
> - "security" = if needed
> - "bundles" = catch all for things that don't fit
>
> This is just a stake in the ground.
>
> Jeff
>

> John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 09/12/2007 03:42 PM
>
> Please respond to
> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: [equinox-dev] Equinox->Bundles component is getting crowded
>

> Since "component" is a confusing term, I should clarify my comments on
> this.  I like the idea of being more fine-grained with Unix groups
(CVS
> commit rights), because I think it encourages new committers. If
someone
> joins the community with a strong interest in a narrow area (such as
> security or provisioning), but isn't interested in the rest of the
> framework, they could quickly earn commit rights in that area, without
> having to give them write access to other code they aren't qualified
> maintain (or aren't interested in maintaining).  On the question of
> bugzilla components, I don't particularly care whether we have one or
ten
> - these are fairly easy to change over time as the need arises.
>
> John
>

> John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 09/12/2007 03:24 PM
>
> Please respond to
> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: [equinox-dev] Equinox->Bundles component is getting crowded
>

> I agree one component per bundle is probably overkill.  However, it's
not
> necessarily true that the CVS commit groups match 1-1 with Bugzilla
> groups. While it's often convenient to do it this way, it's not a
> constraint that we need to conform to.  I should also add that the EMO
has
> a plan under consideration for standardizing the group structure for
Unix