Re: [equinox-dev] restricted access setttings

I misread Jeff's earlier post. The template is fine. I agree with Jeff, forbidden access should always be an error, it will never work at runtime.

Thanks for the tip on deprecated methods John. This means we have to javadoc to internal classes to add the @deprecated tag? Not really a big deal I guess.

Tom

Inactive hide details for Jeff McAffer ---08/30/2007 06:57:40 AM---yes, the test project did not have the pref set to "error". Jeff McAffer ---08/30/2007 06:57:40 AM---yes, the test project did not have the pref set to "error". Note however setting this particular one to warning is goofy since

          Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>

          08/30/2007 06:56 AM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

Re: [equinox-dev] restricted access setttings

yes, the test project did not have the pref set to "error". Note however setting this particular one to warning is goofy since the resultant code does not have a hope of running. it really is an error. We are talking about Forbidden access not Discouraged.

Jeff

John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

08/29/2007 06:33 PM

Please respond to
cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] restricted access setttings

I think Jeff was saying that the template has that preference set to error, not that the template has an error. This deviation from the template for the test project was intentional though, since tests sometimes need to access internals. The tests also intentionally deviate from the conventions for the "unexternalized strings" setting (ignore instead of warning). Perhaps we need a different convention for tests/tools that aren't part of shipping code.

Tom, for the deprecation warning, you can avoid that by marking the implementation method as deprecated as well (a deprecated method that implements a deprecated interface method is not flagged as a warning).

Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>

08/29/2007 09:30 AM

Please respond to
cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] restricted access setttings

Which template has the error? The jdt prefs template at (
http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/documents/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs) has the following values for discouraged and forbidden access:

org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.problem.discouragedReference=error
org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.problem.forbiddenReference=error

On another note I find it inconvenient that we set "Signal overriding or implementing deprecated method" to warning. In some cases we have interfaces which have deprecated methods, there is no choice for the implementer, they must implement the deprecated method.

Tom

Inactive hide details for Jeff McAffer ---08/28/2007 11:42:40 PM---I was playing around in the provisioning test bundle and speJeff McAffer ---08/28/2007 11:42:40 PM---I was playing around in the provisioning test bundle and spent about 1 hour tracking down a classloading issues that turned out
Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>

08/28/2007 11:40 PM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[equinox-dev] restricted access setttings

I was playing around in the provisioning test bundle and spent about 1 hour tracking down a classloading issues that turned out to be a missing package import. This should have shown up as an error but it turns out that the Test project has forbidden access set to Warning instead of Error. Please be sure that all projects conform to the Equinox coding guidelines (the template has it as error). Where there are deviations, let people know. for example, I left the test project set as Warning for discouraged use as tests sometimes need to reach in to access things not normally available.

It might be worthwhile somehow scannng the projects to confirm that they are all set appropriately. Perhaps a simple tool that just looks at the relevant settings files?

Jeff