Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] Ruminations on IDirector vs. ProvisioningHelper-like entity

If only we could have a console as a UI... I'm really amazed by the
requirements the UI put ;-)
I agree that it is interesting / mandatory to be able to show disk space
and things like that, however ProvisioningOperand is wrong thing to base a
UI on since it contains the information to drive an engine and this will
likely be more detailed than what we have now (Simon is working on a new
API for the engine).

As for the code code, the oracle I have in mind will share code with the
director to ensure consistency.

             "Tim Webb"
             <tim@xxxxxxxxxx>
             equinox-dev-bounc         "Equinox development mailing list"
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx            <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             08/14/2007 05:32                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [equinox-dev] [prov]
                                       Ruminations on IDirector vs.
                                       ProvisioningHelper-like entity
             Please respond to
                  Equinox
                development
               mailing list
             <equinox-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

Pascal,

I could see a benefit to knowing the full set of operations since some
users don't want their system changed without understanding the impact.
More importantly, it is interesting to be able to show users information
such as the amount of data that will be downloaded as a result of X, being
able to calculate needed disk space before performing the operation, and
letting the user know that selecting that one little feature caused 200mb
of extra stuff to be included.

The issue I see is that a lot of the interesting information ends up
following many of the same paths that are currently used in the Director.
Instead of duplicating that code into another object called an Oracle,
might it make sense to pull some of that logic out of the Director into a
shared object?  Whether it's called an Oracle or not, I think there should
be one set of code that determines the set of operations to be performed,
and I don't believe that we need to duplicate that logic.

Thoughts?
Tim