Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] Native touchpoint

Before answering your questions, let me clarify the goal of touchpoints:
- Touchpoints are meant to perform actions (configuration, installation,
etc.) against a particular "runtime". For example the eclipse touchpoint
acts on an eclipse runtime (osgi) and is able to install bundles, set start
levels, set program args, etc. And the native touchpoint acts against the
operating system to create desktop shortcuts, register registry keys,
create links, run MSI installers, setting permissions, ...
- Touchpoints define the action they provide and also define the
externalized format for these actions. For example the eclipse and the
native touchpoint use javascript.
- New touchpoints can be defined and plugged-in. For example one could
define a database touchpoint.
- The touchpoint is very simplistic and only contains what we need (unzip
and permission setting)

Now onto the answers to the questions:
>This appears to be where install handler equivalent functionality would be
performed
      This would only be true if what you were trying to achieve in the
install handlers were OS level things. Other things may need to be done by
other touchpoints.

>Also is Rhino JavaScript envisioned to be the main scripting mechanism for
the native touchpoint
      Currently we have been using rhino for simplicity since java objects
can just be made scriptable and we did not have to define an input format.
That said, rhino is big, may be too powerful and could make the
understanding of configuration scripts hard, therefore it is likely that we
will try to replace it with something else more declarative. But all that
is still up for discussion.

HTH

PaScaL

             James D Miles
             <jdmiles@xxxxxx.c
             Sent by:                  <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             equinox-dev-bounc                                          cc
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       [equinox-dev] [prov] Native
             08/07/2007 04:41          touchpoint
             PM

             Please respond to
                  Equinox
                development
               mailing list
             <equinox-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

Please either add javadoc info or wiki info on the design of the
org.eclipse.equinox.prov.touchpoint.natives and . This appears to be where
install handler equivalent functionality would be performed. I don't need
extensive docs. I just need to know the plan so I can evaluate how it can
be used. We use the install handlers extensively in the current eclipse and
I am attempting to locate the home for this functionality. Also is Rhino
JavaScript envisioned to be the main scripting mechanism for the native
equinox-dev mailing list
equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx