Re: [equinox-dev] Finding a running instance

I believe the access to RFPs is limited to members. Also don't be mistaken
here, as the acronym suggest those documents describe "Really Fun Problems"
and do not highlight a solution. The ones you may be interested in are:
RFP 79 Distributed OSGi Registry
RFP 75 RMI and Serialization for OSGi

PaScaL

             Scott Lewis
             <slewis@composent
             Sent by:                  Equinox development mailing list
             equinox-dev-bounc         <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/20/2007 02:06          Re: [equinox-dev] Finding a running
             PM                        instance

             Please respond to
                  Equinox
                development
               mailing list
             <equinox-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

Hi Pascal,

Can you provide any more info (RFP #) or pointers about this?  e.g. Who?
Is the RFP available to members/public?

Thanksinadvance,

Scott

Pascal Rapicault wrote:
      The OSGi EEG is working on an RFP related to remote service.

                   Scott Lewis

                   <slewis@composent

                   .com>
                   Sent by:                  Equinox development mailing
      list
                   equinox-dev-bounc         <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                   es@xxxxxxxxxxx
      cc

      Subject
                   06/28/2007 09:40          Re: [equinox-dev] Finding a
      running
                   PM                        instance

                   Please respond to

                        Equinox

                      development

                     mailing list

                   <equinox-dev@ecli

                       pse.org>

      Hi Thomas,

      I just want to jump in here.  I think that there are reasons to
      consider
      standardizing (with OSGi R5 or future) an API for remote
      services...*independent* from a specific full remote service
      implementation (e.g. Jini, JXTA).  Some reasons:

      1) As Waldo points out in his posting:
      http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=202304, OSGi and
      JINI's service layers are not conflicting, i.e. OSGi's notion of
      service
      was originally focused on in-process service access, and JINI's
      out-of-process...unless you believe in 'strong transparency' these
      are
      not the same service models.  Apps differ in their need for
      in-process
      vs. out-of-process service access, and so it doesn't make sense to
      require having just one service model (either OSGi-on-JINI or
      JINI-on-OSGi).

      2) JINI implies a certain approach to remote service access, which by
      itself may be overly restricting.  Namely, service access is always
      via
      RPC...i.e. with call/return semantics.  Although I don't think there
      is
      anything wrong with this, I think that in many cases other sorts of
      service interaction models are desireable (e.g. asynch with callback,
      'fire and go', etc).  For example, JXTA is based upon asynch
      messaging
      to a single process or group, and this makes it desireable for some
      use/app cases.

      So I think that what would be most desireable is if the OSGi service
      specification was enhanced with new APIs for things like:

      a) remote service discovery
      b) remote service access (asynch/synch)

      In ECF, we've tried to begin this process by defining an abstract
      discovery API bundle (org.eclipse.ecf.discovery [1]) and a remote
      service access API (org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservices) bundle.  Neither
      of
      these is bound to a particular transport/wire protocol, and 'b' is,
      by
      design, very close in approach to the OSGi service API (e.g.
      IRemoteServiceReference, IRemoteService, etc...you get the
      idea)...but
      with constructs that *allow* other styles of remote access (e.g.
      IRemoteService.callAsynch) as well as RPC...e.g.
      IRemoteService.getProxy()).   Note that parts of this API could be
      also
      be exposed 'transparently' (i.e. like R-OSGi).

      Anyway, IMHO the key for standardization is focusing on protocol
      independent API for access to remote OSGi services, and *not* try to
      force/standardize

      1) a particular transport
      2) whether remote services are network 'transparent' or not (allow
      both)
      3) what interaction style (e.g. synch/asynch) can be used to interact
      with remote services

      My $0.03.

      Scott

      [1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/ECF_API_Docs#Discovery_API
      [2]
      http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/ECF_API_Docs#Remote_Services_API

      Thomas Hallgren wrote:

            Perhaps this could be a path forward, at least long term.
            http://www.aqute.biz/Blog/2007-04-05 ?

            What would happen if OSGi decided to adopt JINI for remote
            services?

            - thomas

            Pascal Rapicault wrote:

                  There is not support for that in equinox, though there is
                  an enhancement
                  request toward that (I can't seem to find the bug #) and
                  there is also a
                  SOC project trying to do a similar thing
                  (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Web_Interface).
                  It is an area where we would be happily reviewing
                  contributions.

                  HTH

                  PaScaL

                               Thomas
                  Hallgren
                  <thomas@xxxxxxx>
                               Sent
                  by:                                                   To
                  equinox-dev-bounc         Equinox development mailing
                  list
                               es@xxxxxxxxxxx
                  <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                  cc

                               06/28/2007 03:53
                  Subject              PM
                  [equinox-dev] Finding
                  a running
                  instance

                               Please respond
                  Equinox

                  development
                                 mailing
                  list
                  <equinox-dev@ecli

                  pse.org>

                  Hi,
                  we have a use-case where one app based on the Eclipse
                  runtime would like
                  to discover other running applications, also based on the
                  Eclipse
                  runtime, on the same machine. Does the Equinox OSGi layer
                  contain some
                  kind of discovery mechanism that would make this
                  possible? If not, does
                  anyone know of other projects that might have a solution
                  or work in
                  progress to solve this?

                  Thanks,
                  Thomas Hallgren