Re: AW: [equinox-dev] Re: [prov] Deltas for delivering updates

Awesome!
You are correct:
-  the required of the artifact descriptor is here to indicate whether this
is a mandatory step or not.
- the artifact descriptor objects need to be exposed (this was never done
'cause we never implemented the post processing)

I like the idea of piping processors. Let's see how far we can take it.
I like even more the idea that you start working on the post processing :-)

For the download in the repo I was hoping that the artifact repository
would reuse some helpers to avoid the problems you mentioned.  The reason
why I was suggesting to do the download in the repo was mostly to give more
flexibility about how things could be processed, but let's see how far we
can go with the current approach before changing things.

Another note:
- You may want to give the full artifact key in the processor data

Thx for your involvement,

PaScaL

             Stefan Liebig
             <Stefan.Liebig@co
             mpeople.de>                                                To
             Sent by:                  Equinox development mailing list
             equinox-dev-bounc         <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/19/2007 04:42          Re: AW: [equinox-dev] Re: [prov]
             AM                        Deltas for delivering updates

             Please respond to
             Stefan.Liebig@com
             people.de; Please
                respond to
                  Equinox
                development
               mailing list
             <equinox-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

Agreed!
So, e.g. a post processing step would be something like
(processor-id="apply-xdelta",data="from-version=1.0",required=true).
Is the intended semantic of ´required==false´ that a
ProcessorManager/Executer may decide on some context whether or execute
or not, e.g. md5 check required or not may be a decision of the ´user´?
Currently ProcessingStep is ´only´ part of the ArtifactDescriptor and so
neither available to requests and repositories because it is not part of
their interface. They only know IArtifactKey. It is only used inside
LocalWrittableRepo and meta data generation.
Given that a request can not execute post processors. As a consequence
ArtifactDescriptor should be made visible/accessible/query-able from the
repository such as
ArtifactDescriptors[] getArtifactDescriptors( IArtifactKey key )
With this a request can than decide for which of the returned
descriptors it is capable of processing the required post processing steps.

Another question that comes into my mind is: Should the post processing
be capable of piping the output of one post processor to the next post
processor?

I could start working on this post processing stuff, if that is ok?

I am not sure whether a repository should be responsible for download at
all. It´s responsibility should be storing/updating/deleting and
retrieving/querying, it should delegate this to requests. Even the
initial feed of the artifact descriptors should be handled by a request,
otherwise dealing with stuff like (internet) proxies, etc. has to be
done in multiple places.

Stefan

Pascal Rapicault wrote:
> Answers embedded <pascal></pascal>
> PaScaL
>

>              "Liebig, Stefan "

>              <Stefan.Liebig@co

>              mpeople.de>
>              Sent by:                  "Equinox development mailing list"

>              equinox-dev-bounc         <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>              es@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
>              07/18/2007 08:39          AW: [equinox-dev] Re: [prov]
Deltas