Re: Re[4]: [equinox-dev] Prosyst contributions

Well, read the spec! :-) Then you will understand the "initial" part!
--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM

office: +1 386 848 1781
mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Alex Blewitt" <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx>
2007-07-08 10:29
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Re[4]: [equinox-dev] Prosyst contributions

Well, why not call it 'o.e.provisioning' then? What's so initial about it?

On 08/07/07, BJ Hargrave <hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> o.e.eq.ip should only be an internal (private) package name. The public
> API is defined by OSGi: org.osgi.service.provisioning.
> --
>
> BJ Hargrave
> Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
> OSGi Fellow and CTO of the OSGi Alliance
> hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> office: +1 386 848 1781
> mobile: +1 386 848 3788
>

> "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 2007-07-08 07:21
> Please respond to
> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> "Pavlin Dobrev" <p.dobrev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject
> Re: Re[4]: [equinox-dev] Prosyst contributions
>

> It would be better to have a more descriptive bundle symbollic name,
> that's for sure. The question then becomes whether it makes sense to
> keep the bundle symbolic name and package name in sync. Given that
> most package imports are handled automatically by Eclipse anyway, the
> only reason I can think for having a shorter package name is that it
> takes up a few less chars in the various UTF-8 constant pools in the
> .class files; but if that were really an issue, we'd be calling the
> packages o.e.eq.ip anyway.
>
> The danger with using 'ip' as the package name is that it effectively
> prevents anyone from having a package with the same name for unrelated
> services; for example, an OSGi bundle for generating ICMP IP packets.
>
> I'd vote for a longer name in both cases. Not that my vote counts for
> anything, but as a periodic lurker on the mailing list ...
>
> Alex.
>
> On 08/07/07, Pavlin Dobrev <p.dobrev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > My personal opinion also is that IP is a horible name but maybe as BJ
> > propose we can use long bundle symbolic name?
> >
> > -Pavlin
> >
> > AB> I'm glad I'm not alone. I've asked the question to a wider
audience
> > AB> see if they'd get the reference:
> >
> > AB> http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t98469.html

> 'initial