Re: Re[4]: [equinox-dev] Prosyst contributions

Well, why not call it 'o.e.provisioning' then? What's so initial about it?

On 08/07/07, BJ Hargrave <hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
o.e.eq.ip should only be an internal (private) package name. The public
API is defined by OSGi: org.osgi.service.provisioning.
--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM

office: +1 386 848 1781
mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Alex Blewitt" <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx>
2007-07-08 07:21
Please respond to

"Pavlin Dobrev" <p.dobrev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: Re[4]: [equinox-dev] Prosyst contributions

It would be better to have a more descriptive bundle symbollic name,
that's for sure. The question then becomes whether it makes sense to
keep the bundle symbolic name and package name in sync. Given that
most package imports are handled automatically by Eclipse anyway, the
only reason I can think for having a shorter package name is that it
takes up a few less chars in the various UTF-8 constant pools in the
.class files; but if that were really an issue, we'd be calling the
packages o.e.eq.ip anyway.

The danger with using 'ip' as the package name is that it effectively
prevents anyone from having a package with the same name for unrelated
services; for example, an OSGi bundle for generating ICMP IP packets.

I'd vote for a longer name in both cases. Not that my vote counts for
anything, but as a periodic lurker on the mailing list ...

Alex.

On 08/07/07, Pavlin Dobrev <p.dobrev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> My personal opinion also is that IP is a horible name but maybe as BJ
> propose we can use long bundle symbolic name?
>
> -Pavlin
>
> AB> I'm glad I'm not alone. I've asked the question to a wider audience
> AB> see if they'd get the reference:
>
> AB> http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t98469.html
>
> AB> On 07/07/07, Remy Chi Jian Suen <remy.suen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> You're not alone, Alex. I think ip is a horrible name.
> >> initprovisioning or initprov or something would've been better.
> >> There's just no way that someone's going to know that 'ip' is
'initial
> >> provisioning'.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Rem