Re: [equinox-dev] Thoughts on write api for repository : Please add your thoughts

Think "objects and garbage collection". IUs are just objects that describe things you can install.  Repositories are just memory spaces that can hold IU objects.  One can copy these IUs from repo to repo and basically everything we use to hold IUs is a repo.  We generally talk about "mirroring" as the verb when taking something from one repo and copying to another.  Deleting an IU from a repo may be done explicitly oryou can leave them there and at some point garbage collect them.

Two additional points are critical:
- IUs are *metadata*.  They describe things.  The are NOT the things.  So an IU for a bundle is NOT the bundle.  The bundle is an "artifact".  Having an IU in a repo does not imply that you have the associated artifacts in/near/beside/... that repo

- Profiles track "installation operations".  That is, putting something in a repo is just a mirroring or copying operation.  It is analogous to copying files from one drive to another.  When an IU is "installed" however, it is added to a profile.  That profile can then be run.  Later the IU can be uninstalled or updated in that profile.  The exact same IU can be installed simultaneously in many profiles.  Think of profiles as simply lists of IUs.  For fun, under the covers we may use a metadata repo to manage this list but that is just an implementation detail.

HTH

Jeff

"Prashant Deva" <prashant.deva@xxxxxxxxx>

06/25/2007 09:19 PM

Please respond to

cc
Pascal Rapicault/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Subject
[equinox-dev] Thoughts on write api for repository : Please add        your thoughts

Hi,
Me and pascal were having a discussion regarding the write api for the repositories.
I would appreciate if you all would post your thoughts on this too.
I am attaching our conversation below.

Prashant