Re: [equinox-dev] New Update Manager UI : Your thoughts

Just to clarify a little.  At the provisioning workshop we discussed the idea of a "governor" who would essentially inject these policy choices into the director.  We actaully don't want alot of people running around implementing their own directors if it can be avoided.  The director is likely hard/complicated.  While we can supply "director building blocks", that introduces another level of API/SPI.  In any event, the director should be pluggable yes.

Jeff

Peter Manahan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

06/13/2007 02:57 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] New Update Manager UI : Your thoughts

I think we are mixing up two aspects of the provisioning work. The mechanisms for actually performing the provisioning (doing the real work) and the mechanisms for defining policy around provisioning (i.e. when and what to provision).  Since as far as I know the provisioning work is supposed define a pluggable "director" aka the policy decider,  there can be multiple implementations of policy makes. Some implementations may decide to enforce a strict license check and some can decide not to.  I fully expect to have to roll my own director rather than use the default equinox implementation of it. There are probably too many different use cases  to try and roll a single implementation that covers them all.

The original thought  behind all this was a new Update Manager UI.  In the original thread I made this comment

"So it would be useful to understand/define the intended role of  the new update manager UI as well before going down the same path it went previously"

The role of the Update Manager UI on the new provisioning code obviously hasn't been defined. What policies will new Update Manager implement?  I'd suggest that it should start with the requirements needed by eclipse.org to provision eclipse.org content like Europa etc.

Peter