RE: [equinox-dev] Multiple users and the Equinox console

I’m under the assumption that the OSGi console commands are only available when the console is specified (e.g. eclipse –console).  If eclipse is not started with “-console”, than the commands are not registered and not available.

If this assumption is correct, than these commands will only be available via web UI and JMX when Eclipse is started with the console.  Does this have any impact on the usability of the web UI or JMX interface to the OSGi commands?

Can someone confirm or reject this assumption?

From: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeremy Volkman
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:01 AM
To: Equinox development mailing list
Subject: Re: [equinox-dev] Multiple users and the Equinox console

On 5/23/07, Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Or you can implement a web ui using one of the HTTP services available in Equinox.

> The simple answer is that this just was not a requirement.

The nice thing about the built-in console is just that -- it's built into the framework bundle and always there.  A web UI or JMX server can be mistakingly stopped, and then there's no longer any way to control the system.

We do have extensive web UI's in our system that allow us to control all sorts of things, but the console is nice to be able to fall back on.

> Contributions are welcome :-)

I may take you up on that. =)

> Jeff

-Jeremy