Re: [equinox-dev] ProSyst contribution

+1

That would be great !

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:06:53 -0500
Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thomas> +1
Thomas>
Thomas> This is very good news.  I assume the proposed committers from Prosyst
Thomas> want to maintain the implementations going forward in Equinox?  This will
Thomas> be key to graduating the code out of the incubator.  I am looking forward
Thomas> to getting viable a implementation of the services you listed, in
Thomas> particular there has been interest in a stable implementation of DS in
Thomas> Equinox.
Thomas>
Thomas> Tom
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Thomas> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas> 03/12/2007 12:09 PM
Thomas> Please respond to
Thomas> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> To
Thomas> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thomas> cc
Thomas>
Thomas> Subject
Thomas> Re: [equinox-dev] ProSyst contribution
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> +1
Thomas>
Thomas> The incubator is the right initial home for this.  I'm not particularly
Thomas> fussed if the Prosyst dependencies are removed before or after.  The code
Thomas> can evolve once it is in the repo or it can be put in in working form.
Thomas>
Thomas> Jeff
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> BJ Hargrave <hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Thomas> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas> 03/12/2007 12:11 PM
Thomas>
Thomas> Please respond to
Thomas> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> To
Thomas> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thomas> cc
Thomas>
Thomas> Subject
Thomas> Re: [equinox-dev] ProSyst contribution
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> This is really great.
Thomas>
Thomas> I propose we take the code into the incubator area (once proper paperwork
Thomas> is in place) to enable code reviews, etc. before we consider promoting to
Thomas> the main equinox project.
Thomas>
Thomas> Also, I think the dependencies on non-open source code (e.g. ProSyst util
Thomas> classes) must, of course, be remove before we put the code in the
Thomas> incubator. Otherwise we will have no way to build and run it.
Thomas>
Thomas> We already have a Config Admin impl (which Simon pointed out I still need
Thomas> to code review... :-) and a DS impl. But the current DS impl is a bit
Thomas> wonky and I am very much intrested to see if the ProSyst version is
Thomas> suitable to replace it.
Thomas>
Thomas> BJ Hargrave
Thomas> Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
Thomas> OSGi Fellow and CTO of the OSGi Alliance
Thomas> hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx
Thomas>
Thomas> office: +1 386 848 1781
Thomas> mobile: +1 386 848 3788
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> Dimitar Valtchev <d.valtchev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thomas> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas> 03/12/2007 11:01 AM
Thomas> Please respond to
Thomas> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> To
Thomas> Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx
Thomas> cc
Thomas> equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas> Subject
Thomas> [equinox-dev] ProSyst contribution
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas>
Thomas> Hi Jeff,
Thomas>
Thomas> Following our conversation at EclipseCon we finalized the ideas for a
Thomas> possible initial ProSyst contribution to Equinox. We could donate the
Thomas> following OSGi services, which do not have a full Equinox
Thomas> implementation yet:
Thomas>
Thomas> 1. Initial Provisioning
Thomas> 2. IO Connector Service Specification
Thomas> 3. Wire Admin Service Specification
Thomas> 4. Configuration Admin Service Specification
Thomas> 5. Declarative Services Specification
Thomas>
Thomas> We can provide working implementations with packages in the Equinox
Thomas> namespace comparatively fast but removing the dependencies on some
Thomas> ProSyst util classes will take more time.
Thomas>
Thomas> The developers who will be responsible for this work are Pavlin Dobrev
Thomas> and Teodor Todorov. Both of them are involved with ProSyst OSGi
Thomas> implementation and participate in the OSGi EG. I think it makes sense
Thomas> to add them as Equinox committers.
Thomas>
Thomas> Please let me know if you support the suggested approach.
Thomas>
Thomas> Best regards,
Thomas> Dimitar
Thomas>