Re: [equinox-dev] replaceable OSGi runtime again

The supplement bundle is intended to capture those parts of the Equinox framework implementation that are not available when running other frameworks (or in some cases, without OSGi).  It is literally a subset of the full framework (check outhe org.eclipse.osgi project structure).

I'm not sure if this answers your question.
Jeff

Danail Nachev <d_nachev@xxxxxxxxxx>

02/27/2007 05:13 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] replaceable OSGi runtime again

Another question which is related is what is purpose of supplement
bundle - is it providing support for equinox bundles (registry,
preferences, etc) on other frameworks or its purpose can be extended to
support bundles written for Equinox framework and deployed on different
framework?

Danail Nachev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not very sure where this discussion should take place - here or
> dsdp-ercp-dev mail list. I'm posting it here, because the previous
> discussion was here and because equinox project should be interested in
> this.
>
> So, there is a goal in eRCP project, described in short here:
>
> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/equinox-dev/msg01578.html
>
> Now I can see that we are almost there. However, there are two things,
> which concern me:
>
> 1. update.configurator checks whether the org.eclipse.osgi bundle is in
> ACTIVE state. I don't know if this is necessary. If this check is
> needed, perhaps it should be replaced with something more decoupled like
> checking for particular service?
>
> 2. core.runtime bundle require org.eclipse.osgi bundle. This was already
> discussed. The conclusion was that it can't be fixed for now because of
> the backward compatibility. However, here is one crazy idea, which is
> not ideal, but it is a start:
>
> core.runtime is modified to require org.eclipse.osgi and
> equinox.supplement optionally and reexport them. This way, when you
> deploy the core.runtime bundle, it will import the available bundle
> (org.eclipse.osgi on Equinox and equinox.supplement on other frameworks)
> and reexport it. The equinox.supplement's exports can be extended via
> fragment manifest, so the adapter bundle can modify the supplement
> bundle's class space to be roughly the same as org.eclipse.osgi class
> space. This way, you should be able to deploy core.runtime without
> modification.
>
> Also I think that we should provide a document, describing how Eclipse
> runtime can be deployed on other frameworks. This will ease the
> integration of eRCP on devices where OSGi framework is already
> available. Does such document already exist?
>
> Because I hadn't chance to test anything those are things, which I was
> able to spot by examining the current source tree. I will try to come
> back with more details when I had a chance to run some code.
>
> Kind regards,
> Danail

Danail Nachev . Software Engineer/Development Tools
ProSyst Labs EOOD
1606 Sofia, Bulgaria . 48 Vladajska Str.
Phone:  +359 (0)2 952 35 81/102 . Fax +359 (0)2 953 26 17
http://www.prosyst.com . d_nachev@xxxxxxxxxx