Re: [equinox-dev] app model demo

Wow Jeff, I'm surprised you got it working with no instructions!!  I was working on some instructions earlier this week and they all got lost when I went to save them on the wiki.  Unfortunately I was not smart enough to copy a backup, I was working directly on the wiki page (I will never do that again!!) and when I went to save it somehow wiped out the whole demo page.  No matter what I did I could not get back to my new content.  I had to go to history to restore the previous version of the page without my new content.

See more comments below

Tom.

equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/27/2007 10:37:33 PM:

> I was just playing with the app model demo code. It may not be
> complete but here is what I observed.
>
> - Way cool!
> - the launch config when loaded into my workspace seemed to include
> all the bundles in my workspace.  The option to "add new workspace
> plugins..." should be deselected.

I will fix this.

> - The launch config is setup to use a Foundation 1.0 JRE if
> available.  I indeed to have one but using the launch config does
> not work because hte javax.xml related packages were not found.
> there likely needs to be a parser supplied somewheere and the
> appropriate system properties set to direct the framework what
> classes to bind as the XML services.  I changed the JRE to be 1.5
> and all worked fine.

Foundation 1.0 would likely work if we installed a parser bundle,
but for the demo I will just use 1.4.2 or higher.

> - We need a set of instructions on the Equinox Demos wiki
>         http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Equinox_Demos

See comments above !! :(

> - as a point of demo-ability it would be good if the various console
> commands like startApp and stopApp took short forms of the
> application ids.  Basically do an indexof over the set of available
> apps (e.g., inactive or active ones as appropriate) with the given
> app id fragment.  If there is only one, act on it, if there are
> more, bail and report ambiguity.  That way you could say "startApp paint"

I was looking into providing a small jface/swt front end to drive the apps It should be simple to do, correct?  But I am ignorant when it comes to UI programming (I would love to learn, but may not have the time).  Do you think using the console to drive the apps is good enough for this demo?

> - It seems that you need to have the runtime bundle (and its
> attendant prereqs) in the launch config for the app model bundle to
> start.  Otherwise the app bundle is left in starting state.  Ideally
> users could simply install the app bundle and its prereqs (is the
> registry even really needed?)  So the question is, what is the
> minimal configuration that allows for MEG applications to be run and
> then what is the recommended/simple configuration.

I can setup an equinox launcher or use a custom config.ini with the minimal set of bundles.  This will give us the control to start the app model bundle without org.eclipse.core.runtime.  In full eclipse platform org.eclipse.core.runtime is started and it ensures the org.eclipse.equinox.app bundle gets started.   The registry is definately needed because the eclipse application container registers ApplicationDescriptor services based on extensions of the org.eclipse.core.runtime.applications extension point.