Re: [equinox-dev] Re: Embedding Equinox OSGi and EclipseStarter

This is an item that we (Equinox) would like to focus on for OSGi R5 along with Richard Hall (Apache Felix) and others.  In general there is a need to provide a standard way to hook into and add functionality to an existing Framework implementation.  If we could do this in a general and standard way then we can try to keep the core Framework impl small and only add additional functionality as needed in a standard way without "baking" it into the Framework implementation.

Tom

Kabe <kabriel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

02/14/2007 03:19 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Re: Embedding Equinox OSGi and EclipseStarter

This would be a great area for standardization within a future OSGI spec. Standardization of how you embed, host, and interact with an OSGi framework etc. I think people are finding this more and more useful and will be then coming up against the same issues that have been talked about here a few times lately.

Kabe

On 2/14/07, Steven E. Harris <seh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Equinox has a general hooking mechanism which allows you to hook
> into many different parts of the framework (see

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Adaptor_Hooks).

Wow, this is excellent documentation. Thank you.

> You should be able to do what you describe by implementing the
> org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.hooks.AdaptorHook interface.

Yes, that one, and perhaps the BundleWatcher interface. I'll try
implementing with these this afternoon and report back how I fare.

--
Steven E. Harris