Re: [equinox-dev] Re: Adding to the framework exported libraries?

A fragment is not a proper bundle. It is designed to satisfy certain use
cases by extending a bundle's contents: adding classes, resource, native
libraries, manifest metadata. It is not intended to be a substitute for a
proper bundle.

Why would you need to use an extension fragment to supply a LogService
impl? Just do it with a normal bundle.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx

office: +1 386 848 3788
mobile: +1 386 848 3788

David Kemper <djk@xxxxxxxxx>
02/13/2007 07:28 PM
Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Re: Adding to the framework exported libraries?

I bring it up for a couple reasons:

1) From time to time I see suggestions to supplement plugin behavior
in a fragment that registers services, as was done in the original
post, so I assume that I'm missing something in how it *could* be done.

2) I've seen the use case for fragments as a) localized resources, b)
native code shared library for a specific os configuration, and c)
extending the functionality of a given bundle such that, depending on
what fragment is installed in the framework, you get modified/adapted
behavior.

In the cases of 1) and 2c), consider an extension of the system
bundle that wishes to provide an implementation of the Log Service.
How to do this?

This is just one example.  The bottom line:  if you need a bundle
context to do anything "useful" in a running framework, and a
fragment doesn't get one because it can't have a bundle activator,
what is it realistically possible to do in a fragment beyond
resources and native code?

/djk